Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life After the Steady Job

I was out on the Ottawa River this morning, in June, at 8:30 a.m. Sitting quietly in my yellow kayak, watching the blue water, blue sky, ducks, an orange hull of a sailboat in the distance near the Quebec shore to the north, and a small red-and-white lighthouse in Dick Bell Park by the marina. Thinking to myself, well, this sure beats racing downtown on the crowded bus to sit in a beige cubicle all day. On the way back home, and I can paddle right to my back-yard gate om a tributary of the Ottawa River, I stopped to pick up a discarded red plastic pail, and a 4-liter plastic container half-full of anti-freeze from the marshes. I also stopped to watch a big turtle the size of a dinner-plate. And I paddled slowly past a large white egret so as not to scare it off. Lot's of time to see things. And the only reason I had to turn back and go home was because I had to pee. I think this is the freedom people yearn for. So great! Thank you for reading, Northstar

No comments: